Sunday, August 7, 2011

3, 4, 5 August 2011























Mmmm...where to begin! Excited, scared, nervous - this is all of the feelings I had throughout my flights towards Oslo.   On my flight to Frankfurt a VERY talkative man sat next to me.  He carried on until we had dinner. Then I had a little peace and quiet, ate in silence and watched a little bit of a movie.  I didn't sleep so well as I preferred, but it was ok. We had a good breakfast (or frokost, as the Norwegians say) and then landed in Frankfurt at 05:20.  It was a very HUGE airport but luckily I didn't get lost.  On the flight to Oslo I was surrounded by foreign speaking persons and a not-so-talkative German sat next to me. When we came nearer towards Oslo I could only see trees, lakes, streams and fog outside the window of the aircraft.  It was breathtaking. I landed safely in Oslo, got my luggage, and could quite easily and quickly find my way around their airport to get the stuff I needed.  I also bought my bus ticket and in a very short time I was sitting next to the window on a bus with a scenery outside worth a thousand words.  Green, green and again, green, trees, lands the colour of cheese, lofty hills...then the city centre...buzzling life, old, decorative buildings.  Luckily, I got to my drop-off point without snapping a few of my nerve strings.  Then...I had to get to the hotel from my drop-off point. I took out my very, very big map of Oslo and tried to make sense of it. I had better luck when I asked a local where the hotel is.  I got to the hotel...with a few addisional muscles.  Pushing two (a combined weight of approx. 35kg) bags from behind on streets that go up and down is not easy.  I arrived at the hotel too early to book in, but luckily I had time to rest a bit and study the map of Oslo more carefully. After I eventually booked in, I left my bags in my room and decided to go to the location where I have to fetch the keys to my student housing.  My first encounter with TRAFIKANTEN - the trafic system of Oslo.  It had me going crazy at the start - I had no idea where to hop on or off.  Lucily, a man at the reception guided me on my map to where I have to go to hop on and a girl and the station told me where to hop off.  At a bookshop at the Blindern Campus I got my keys and decided then to go to my studenthousing to see how it looks.  Bed, desk, chair, very big lamp, coffee table, curtains (really important), cupboard, bathroom and very nice kitchen.  After inspecting my room I got back on the tram towards the hotel and bought a basket of strawberries on the way back. When I got there I took a nice long shower to wash of all the rush and stress of the morning.  And what a better way to end that very long day with a stroll in a park?  I decided to visit the Slottet (Palace) park.  It was so peaceful, with lots of trees (again), pretty streams and fountains with ducks, beautiful flowers.   I went to bed at nine that evening with the sun still up in the sky.  The next morning I packed all my things once again and headed towards my student housing...I think I lost 3kg in the process.  I had to push my luggage up and down...and then again up and down...over lots of stones...and then through a path in a small forest which took me to my housing.  When I eventually got to my room I was so exhausted that I just started sobbing.  First of all, I took out my laptop and connected it to the internet point in my room...hoping for the best...and all of a sudden I had internet access!! And then I had my first conversation with my dad on skype! I was so glad and happy and sad..all at once. After that I decided to go to the Norwegian academy of music...and I actually walked a bit around in circles...until I realised that it was actually very close to the place where I began. There I met my singing professor and to make my day a lot quite better, he said that his wife is now in a linen shop and would buy me some bed linen then I can pay her back...so I had something to sleep between for the night! After I got back to my place, I decided to visit the closest supermarket...it took me quite a while to figure out what is what. And, very funny, I saw a bottle of "Afrikanske heuning".  I also bought me one of the cheapest loafs of bread, which is actually still quite expensive (actually all the food is expensive).  When I had my first bite of this bread it tasted quite sweet...I typed the words on the packaging into google translate...and it said "Cranberries coarse". Well, now you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment